THE PROWL

On the Prowl for the Truth

THE PROWL

THE PROWL

A Pep Rally with the Beat

On Nov. 7, Independence High School held the schools’ first homecoming pep rally in preparation for the white-out homecoming football game against Rock Ridge. 

The sophomores sing along to Miley Cyrus’s “Party in the U.S.A.” during the pep rally.

As a brand new school, the SCA did its best to plan the school’s first homecoming pep rally. A huge aspect of doing so involved creating a positive atmosphere with everyone’s help. Students were dressed in their class colors, and some students made sure to stand out with their patriotic presence. This consisted of  students wearing accessories like sunglasses, headbands, face paint, tutus, tattoos, and much more. The DJ also brought back old songs that made the student crowd go wild, while the cheerleaders showed their new routine and the skills they were soon to take to states. The SCA officers also made sure to help carry out the festivities  and encourage enthusiasm from the students. 

SCA President Ainsley Hathaway shared some thoughts of her own about the pep rally and explained how the students at Independence’s homecoming pep rally were way more energetic than the students at her previous high school. She also elaborated on the idea that the fact that the classes were competitive made winning the spirit stick ever so special. She stated, “All the classes were really competitive and wanted to win, so when we won I was really happy.”

MCs Carson Manternach and Charlie Joyce perform Bop to the Top from High School Musical.

Both teachers and students competed against other departments and classes, respectively, to amass the largest number of spirit points. In the end, the junior class and social sciences department took home the win with the overwhelming enthusiasm they showed throughout. When Principal John Gabriel announced the junior class as the spirit stick winners, they stormed to the center of the gym in celebration; it was quite evident how much pride they took in being a part of the school.

Spirit games also contributed to the excitement students created. Each class supported their peers as a few students were selected to compete in a toilet-paper wrapping competition. As the students worked together to quickly wrap their teacher into a mummy, everyone anxiously watched. Another game consisted of a musical-chairs inspired game where students had to find an object from their class’ student section and hurry back to get a seat. 

Junior homecoming court members Sam Johnson and Carson Manternach make their entrance.

An aspect of this pep rally that also made it significant was homecoming court being announced. As all of the members made entries consisting of wheel barrows, hoverboards or scooters, the students simply couldn’t help but cheer them on. Additionally, Independence has appeared to disprove the stereotype that a new school cannot have winning sports teams with moments like the Independence golf team winning States, and two players placing 3rd and 4th in the state. Fall sports teams such as football, golf, volleyball and field hockey have shown their skills throughout the season. With that said, field hockey and golf played in state tournaments, and football played at regionals. The golf and football team were greeted with loud cheers upon their entry. 

The golf team takes a victory lap in a decorated golf cart around the gym after winning the school’s first state championship title.

Having a homecoming pep rally following the end of the first quarter isn’t quite common, however the first pep rally’s importance is its ability to set precedents for future homecoming pep rallies. A homecoming pep rally is a way to enjoy student life before upcoming homecoming festivities, and in this case reflect on how the students finally were at home whether they were a freshman, sophomore, or junior. After hearing several positive remarks towards the homecoming pep rally from various people around the building, students are overall happy to be part of such an incredible new community that has formed and support the ongoing social media trend, #INDYOE. 

Based on several comments made by various people it seems as if the student body’s teamwork, collaboration and support for one another has grown during the first few weeks of school and truly showed throughout the pep rally. As a result, Mr. Gabriel exclaimed the following in his blog earlier in the school year, “And so in Independence’s brief existence I have been so proud of how overall the students have carried themselves in the face of defeat, in the joy of victory, and in the spirit of pride.”