Independence’s Drum Major paves her path

Kaylin+Shukert%2C+12+getting+ready+to+prepare+at+the+Macys+Thanksgiving+Day+Parade.+

Kaylin Shukert, 12 getting ready to prepare at the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade.

Watching Kaylin Shukert, 12, one of Independence’s drum majors gracefully conduct Independence’s marching band from the stands while cheering on our football players this past season, has left others wondering what experiences in band and beyond must have been like for her.

“It’s nice to see how much the band has grown in the past three years, and I feel like it’s a place for me to escape the things I go through everyday: schoolwork, home, life, and everything else,” Shukert exclaimed. She explained how she values the friendships and people she has met during her time in band. As the drum major, Shukert  must fulfill her responsibilities of conducting, which require an in-depth understanding of musical elements and the ability to effectively communicate. The other 50% of her role entails basic leadership skills such as being a team player and an overall approachable individual who is there to help those around her. 

What makes Shukert’s ability to conduct so impressive is the fact that she is primarily self-taught, teaching herself how to conduct during her freshman year at Riverside High School. She was able to learn through the observation of other drum majors at her old school and received assistance from a few helpful Youtube videos. “I really looked up to the drum majors at my old school, and they seemed super put together. I truly just was just like ‘Wow… I want to be like them,’” Shukert stated. Upon her arrival at Independence, her sophomore year, she auditioned for the role of the very first Independence drum major. Since then, Mr. Harrington has guided her and helped her to conduct the way she does now. 

Clarinet, the alto-saxophone, and some other instruments are a part of Shukert´s skill set. When asked about her favorite memory, KK explained how the smallest, funniest moments were the ones she always ended up remembering. “One time one of my friends got stuck in the locker and we had to pry the lock off, that was pretty funny. Another time, the band room flooded and all the water came inside causing everyone to absolutely freak out,” Shukert explained. The bus rides hold a dear place in her heart, unlike the metronome which sometimes gives her a hard time.

The past three years, Shukert has been accepted to perform at the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade, though the only year the parade was not cancelled was 2019. “My friend forced me to audition. She had gotten in as a junior, and even though it was my freshman year, she pushed me to try,” Shukert explained. Despite having low expectations, Shukert was happily surprised with the results. She was excited to perform this year once again and experience New York City with new people. She explained how her busy schedule in New York consisted of more than just performing,  “Everyday there is rehearsal for around 5 hours, and they also take us to see Times Square, the Rockettes, Broadway, Ellen’s StarDust Diner and other iconic experiences New York has to offer.” 

Moving forward, one of Shukert’s biggest goals is to try out for Drum Corps International. If Shukert had to give one piece of advice to underclassmen it would be, “Even if you don’t think you’re that good, you’re better than you think you are, so don’t give up. That’s so cliche, but I mean it.” 

Shukert’s determination and hardwork have truly paid off. She has set an example for others at Independence and managed to tackle her goals. She demonstrates a willingness to take the endless opportunities in front of her and carve out her own successes.