Black History Month Assembly

On Feb. 22, Dr. Paul Harris spoke to students about defining the curve for the Black History Month Assembly. He explained that defining the curve means making your own path through life. He also told students to push through obstacles that may come up. He talked about athletes that created their own path in and out of their sport. He talked about Jackie Robinson, Venus and Serena Williams and more. He gave out gift cards to the first people who guessed the athletes correctly. The assembly took place during first block and was split into two groups: downstairs and upstairs.

A student that was at the Black History Month assembly said that he enjoyed the speech given by Dr. Harris because it was about a topic he could use in his life. “I guessed some of the athletes right, but I did not get a gift card.”

Aaron Pepling, a ninth grader said “I enjoyed the speech and would have gone even if I had to pay for it. I guessed all of the sports players too.”

Dr. Harris has worked as a teacher, counselor and professor for many different grades. He went to college at the University of Virginia and the University of Maryland. Dr. Harris has worked as a  “high school counselor in suburban, urban, and rural communities, taught undergraduate and graduate students at top-tier universities, published peer-reviewed articles and book chapters, held elected state and national leadership roles in educational organizations, and founded and pastored a nondenominational worship community.”