How did people’s plans change for Thanksgiving this year due to COVID-19?

For the second time in just over a century, the world was on the verge of winter vacations amid an unleashed pandemic.

Thanksgiving of 2020

Thanksgiving was a little different this time as people avoided in-person gatherings due to COVID-19 and resorted to virtual celebrations. The joy of being on break and away from school was missing as students were already working from their homes; though, most tried to make the best of the situation. “I am always excited for this time of year, and I would say the excitement [this year] was relatively the same as last year,” said sophomore Nupur Sharma. While others felt low, Hopefully, students got a chance to get relief from distance learning for a bit during Thanksgiving break. 

How did Thanksgiving start? 

Being from India, I had never celebrated Thanksgiving, but I found it to be an interesting concept. This tradition taught me many new things and helped me realize the importance of family and friends. A question that left me wondering was: Why is Thanksgiving such an important tradition in the United States? The Tradition of Thanksgiving started when the Native Americans and the Pilgrims shared their meal to thank each other. Years later, this day is reserved to spend with loved ones and for giving thanks. People gathered with their families and shared meals with each other. Traditional foods include: turkey, stuffing, sweet potatoes, cornbread, mashed potatoes and cranberry sauce. Each family shares a meal together and participates in their own family traditions. 

How did the pandemic change people’s Thanksgiving plans? 

Holidays tend to draw large gatherings, which now are discouraged due to higher levels of COVID-19 transmission. Maintaining the CDC guidelines, this year, people avoided hosting large gatherings like usual for Thanksgiving celebrations. Though, some continued as normal, “My Thanksgiving plans didn’t really change except we had to get supplies earlier than later. Not many people get to say they experience Thanksgiving during a global pandemic, but it didn’t feel too different than before. I’m just glad that I got to spend time with my family, and I feel like that’s what should matter,” said Sharma.

Celebrating Thanksgiving during the pandemic doesn’t feel good because the cases are rising up a lot every single day. “I felt okay with celebrating Thanksgiving this year because I couldn’t spend it with my family or friends, but I’m glad and thankful for my family, friends, good health, good education and food to eat.” said Sophomore Kaia Reynolds. People are glad that they have good health and are hoping next Thanksgiving, they can spend it with more people and friends rather than only family members and hoping for COVID to go away.