Julie Shin- Tigers Taking the Next Step: Athletes Commit to College

Julie Shin is a senior at Independence High School and has committed to play at the D1 level for golf at the University of Pennsylvania. Julie has had a very accomplished high school career, including winning multiple state titles. Shin will continue to pursue her academic and athletic excellence this coming fall. (Photo Courtesy of Julie Shin)

Q. What is your full name?

A. Julie Shin

Q. What Grade are you in?

A. 12th grade 

Q. Where did you commit to for college?

A. University of Pennsylvania

Q. How long have you been playing your sport for?

A. 10 years competitively

Q. What has your athletic career looked like? 

A.  I’ve represented Virginia in team matches 10 times in the past 5 years. I’ve been the number one ranked girl in the VA since 2020. I won my first national tournament down in Georgia last July. I was the number one ranked high school golfer in 2020 and 2021. Ranked in the Top 30 girls nationally in Golfweek. 2021 Virginia Girls Player of the Year. And at the 2019 VHSL Girls States, I set the female course record shooting a 64 that day. I’ve won both Girls states and Boys states during my high school career. And I was the 2021 VHSL Division 5 Player of the Year and individual champion. 

Q. When did you decide that committing for a sport was something you wanted to do?

A. For my whole life I’ve always been an athlete. From doing six years of competitive figure skating to transitioning to golf, I knew sports would be an integral part of my future. After competing in golf for seven years straight, I knew I had fallen in love with the competitive nature of the sport and the community around me. I couldn’t imagine myself not competing in the future, so that’s when I knew that committing to college for golf was the best option for me. 

Q. Do you have a favorite memory from this sport?

A. I’d have to say summer 2020. I was grinding hard every single day, from 6am to 8pm with no breaks. Practice was the most fun during this season because I became close with the best group of people. The “scandals” we would all get into are the most memorable parts and I definitely wish I could go back to that time. I also met my best friend through this sport eight years ago and I can’t imagine what life would have been like if I figure skated instead of golfed. She’s like a twin of mine so that’s definitely also a core memory. 

Q. What are you most looking forward to in college (sports or academics)?

A. I’m very excited to compete in a collegiate field and explore different clubs. I have a lot of tangential interests to golf so I’d like to share some of that experience in a club with others like me.