THE PROWL

On the Prowl for the Truth

THE PROWL

THE PROWL

Tigers Honoring Those Who Served

On Saturday morning on Dec. 14, thousands of other volunteers, including members of the Independence community, traveled to the Arlington National Cemetery to lay wreaths for the fallen as part of the annual Wreaths Across America event.

Among the volunteers was freshman John Devost, who was able to lay wreaths for two graves. “It was interesting, very serious and sad,” Devost said. “I saw a lot of people who knew the fallen there and it was a sort of reunion for some.”

The freshman class of Independence took it upon themselves to sell wreaths for this cause, selling around 105. Led by freshman class sponsors Mrs. Lisa Hughes and Mrs. Katharine Zerkle, the Wreaths Across America fundraiser was started as a way for freshmen to raise money for their class along with giving back to those who served. For each wreath donated, five dollars went back to the class.

“I think it’s important for students to go to a sacred, hallowed ground,” said Hughes. “We thought it would be a good community builder for Independence.”

According to the Wreaths Across America organization website, the actual event started in 1992 by the Worcester Wreath Company in Maine. Since then, it’s grown into a large annual event that grows more and more each year. This year, volunteers laid 253,000 wreaths for the fallen service men and women. 

“I hope students gain an appreciation for veterans and military that lost their lives fighting for our freedom,” Zerkle said. “If they ever go, they’ll see the impact it has on others.”

Freshman class sponsor, Mrs. Lisa Hughes, was one of many to go to the annual Wreaths Across America event at the Arlington National Cemetery on Dec. 12. “It’s important, visiting a sacred hallowed ground,” said Hughes.

Hughes and Zerkle hope to do this event again with the next freshman class based on numbers they had this year. Their idea is to sell the highest amount of wreaths by having a competition between the classes to see who sponsors the most. 

Cleanup for the cemetery was on Saturday, Jan. 11. The tentative date for this year’s wreath laying is set on Dec. 19, 2020.
For more information, visit https://www.wreathsacrossamerica.org/social/ARLING-ArlingtonNationalCemetery?Sid=14720|0|0|1