Google meets theatre

Carson Manternach stars as Daisy Fraser in Independence Theatre and Performing Arts’ new film production, Spoon River Anthology. Photo courtesy of Cassie Grace

Directing a theater program is not easy — especially when you can’t hear nor see the people you are directing. As COVID-19 surges across the country and schools are forced to shut down, Fine Arts classes continue to struggle. Although students and teachers have already begun to adapt to the new virtual environment, they still face many unknowns.

“Class is definitely different in an online environment because acting classes and theater classes in general really require kids to be participating in the activities,” said Independence Theater and Performing Arts (ITPA) Director, Mr. David Noland. 

The virtual setting has led the theater department to completely restructure its plans. The curriculum for Technical Theater classes has been switched, with more focus on design elements instead of hands-on skills. Students would usually be on stage, actively building sets and using tools but the virtual setting has taken that opportunity away, Mr. Noland said. 

Monologues and film scenes that would normally be performed by Theater Arts students before peers are now recorded and uploaded to Schoology — the platform used by Loudoun County Public Schools for virtual learning. “With theater, you really have to do it and make mistakes to learn. You have to be unprepared for the day that you are presenting your monologue… and know that your class supports you and is not going to judge you at that moment,” Mr. Noland said.

As for Musical Theater, which makes up the bulk of the theater program, students continue to plan shows. Though, rehearsals are a bit different this year. Due to social distancing measures, the casts have been practicing virtually. With the students’ mics muted, neither the vocal coach nor Mr. Noland can hear what they sound like during rehearsals.  “[They’re] really putting a lot of trust in us to make sure we’re actually listening and doing [what they ask for],” junior Aleena Ghori said. 

Currently, they plan to host the musicals “Chicago” and “Freaky Friday.” However, nothing has been confirmed yet due to the unknown future. 

For their fall production, students are working on Mr. Noland’s adaptation of Edgar Lee Master’s book, “Spoon River Anthology.” The production will not be like any other done by the ITPA — it will be a film. “[Filming] is the one way that we are able to maintain social distance… but still produce something that the kids can thrive on and the community can see,” Mr. Noland said.

Though the circumstances have not been ideal, the theater students remain positive. “Had we not turned digital, we wouldn’t have done the filming process… This has really given the kids a chance to explore filming and acting for the camera,” senior and Assistant Director Cassie Grace said. 

Filming has proven to be a learning curve for theater students. Students, who are used to performing in front of a live audience, now have to adjust to camera acting. “When you’re acting for theater, you generally have to act larger than life… You’re trying to have the people 17 rows back feel the motion that you’re feeling. With camera acting, the camera is right there — it sees your expression a foot away,” Grace said. 

Since the theater program thrives on bonding, Mr. Noland’s biggest concerns remain community growth and the continuity of traditions. “I think Noland is trying to do a good job of bringing kids in and making sure they feel like they are part of the group even if we can’t be in person,” Grace said.